Thursday, February 10, 2011

More About Us

Barry and I met when I was a Junior in high school. You could call us high school sweethearts but only I was in high school. Barry was in college at the time. We dated through the summer and my Senior year. We married 2 weeks after I graduated from high school. I was 17 years old at the time, which made him my legal guardian. And let me say that was really weird to have your spouse as your guardian. I turned 18 4 months after we were married. 2 months later we had our beautiful baby girl, Alexis. It was rough being a teen mom. All my friends disappeared from my life. Which left me no one to talk to or confide in. I went through a lot of loneliness and sadness during this time. Then God brought me a few moms that were able to speak into my life and treat me like an adult. I had to grow up very fast and handle grown up decisions and problems, like jobs, paying bills, finding a place to live, grocery shopping, laundry, etc. People have a habit of judging teen moms and dads as slackers but I wasn't a slacker with my child. Even when we lived with my parents they made sure that Barry and I were the caregivers of our daughter. 3 years after we had our first daughter we were blessed with another beautiful baby girl, Autumn. We have worked very hard to provide for our girls and take care of ourselves. We are so thankful for all the help we were given during the times that our girls were little and even now.

We named our blog "older than we look" because we still have people look at us funny when we say we have a 16 year old. We are old enough to have a child that age and wish people wouldn't give us the crazy looks. I know we look young but we aren't as young as we look.

No comments:

Post a Comment